SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
FRANÇAIS Official Site of the Ottawa Senators

Photo

The Ottawa Senators VS The Montreal Canadiens series thoughts and predictions...

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win Round 1? Sens vs Canadiens (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win Round 1 Sens VS Canadiens?

1. Sens wins in 4! The Price is wrong! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Montreal wins in 4! The Price is RIGHT! (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Sens wins in 5! King K FTW (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Montreal wins in 5! Subban and Markov own the powerplay! (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Sens win in 6! Low scoring games where great defence and great goaltending go a long way! (18 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

6. Canadiens win in 6! Low scoring games where great defence and great goaltending go a long way! (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

7. Sens win in 7! Sens rookies out play Montreals, Kassian Kassasinates Subban, Karlsson gives the Sens the offensive edge needed as he is unhindered by Canadiens goons. (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

8. Montreal wins in 7! Montreal's rookies outplay the Sens... Karlsson gets shut down, Canadiens play a disciplined game throughout the series and Sens take too many penalties (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Canadianhero

Canadianhero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

So we draw Montreal in Round 1 of The Stanley Cup playoffs.  

Who do you think has a better chance of winning this series?

Who will have the better goaltender?

Who will be the best defenseman?

Who will be the best goalie?

Will Kassian pull a Carkner>?

Who will be the MVP?

Who will be the overall better team?

Who will be the tougher team?

Who will be the faster team?

Just got tickets...They were almost sold out game 1 before the game started tonight. THUS, Less Montreal fans games 3 and 4 in Ottawa.  

Finally, MacLean juggles the line up.  The third line is looking good at the moment with Pageau, Conacher, and Condra.

Alfy is playing great.  Especially, if he has reduced minutes i.e. 15-20 is great.  I feel if he goes over 20 his play starts to diminish.

Gryba and Weircoch could be our third D pairing with Phillips out.

Montreal is really the best match up we could get.  Thus, I believe we have a good chance to win.  We both play similiar hockey.  Price has not been that good of late.  Thus, Andy could out play him.  

Kassian will be our Carkner this matchup.  As in I could see MacLean using him the same way  he used Carkner in the Rangers series if a certain player picks on Karlsson.  

If we can win this series...i would say we have 40-60% chance looking at the matchups...Then, Spezza could return and the other teams should be more banged up than us as the Canadians dont play as physical a game as Boston, Pittsburg, Toronto...Thus, lets take this one down!

In order to win this series the Sens HAVE TO WORK ON THE PP...The Canadians power play is very good and they will make us pay for taking penalties.

We also have to score more goals on average than we did in the season.  

I believe we will win in 7.

Posted Image

#2 Canadianhero

Canadianhero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

glitch

Posted Image

#3 mattpearce

mattpearce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Season Series between these 2 teams where tied with both team winning a game in a shoot out and both teams winning once in regulation. Montreal only scored 7 goals against us in those games and 4 of them came on the power play. We have taken 23 penalties this year against Montreal and only aloud 4 goals. Our PK percentage is 82.6% and there power play is 17.4%. I wouldn't take these stats to seriously though because we haven't played them in over a month against the Habs. We have gotten  Karlsson, Anderson, Michalek and Cowen all back from injury since the last time we played them.

One player that in my mind needs to be inserted for this series is Patrick Wiercioch  He has a goal and 2 assists in the 4 games we have played Montreal. Offense will be hard to come by and a player with this much success against one team should be a no brainier for our coaching staff. Another reason Wiercioch would be a good fit in the lineup is because with Montreal's speed his high and reach will force them to the outside and with the size of most of the Canadian's, Wiercioch could be able to out muscle a good portion of there team which is usually one of his biggest down falls.

Price has really struggled to find his groove as of late and I don't think the coach sitting him in the game against Toronto really helped him at all. They say they wanted to give him a rest but with that game having major playoff implications and the playoffs not starting for another 3 or 4 days, I for one didn't buy that excuse and Price didn't look to happy either. He hasn't played well for the last month and his stats for this past month are a .866 save percentage and a 3.2 GAA in 10 games, he was also pulled from the net in 3 straight games. If Carey Price can't pull his game together this series could be over pretty quick.

In my opinion this series will go to game 6 where Ottawa will win it at home. Anderson will be the better goalie and with the series tied at 2-2 you will see Spezza back for the 5th game in the series which we will win and then we will finish off he series at ScotiaBank Place in game 6. Anderson was one bounce away from stealing a series last year against the Rangers when Lundqvist was playing some of his best hockey. This series will come down to Carey Price and if he can steal 3 games from us which I personally don't think he can. Ottawa is an extremely disciplined team and any penalty's they do take they will kill off. Montreal cannot rely on there Powerplay to get them through a series when they are facing the league's best PK.

#4 ZibaneJude

ZibaneJude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

mattpearce don't underestimate Montreal and Carey Price.  They're sitting first in our division and second only to Pittsburgh in the conference for a reason.  I live in Montreal and my room mate is a huge habs fan so it should be a pretty interesting series in our living room come thursday.  I've lived near and in Ottawa for most of my life but I moved to Montreal this year for school.  Basically, I've seen a lot of Habs games and they play a very good game of hockey.  They have the third highest goals-for in the league right now, right behind the Pens and the Hawks, and it's not an accident.  Further, those goals are spread over four lines pretty evenly compared to most teams.  Ottawa seems to be very good at shutting down one or two line all star player teams like the caps, but they'll have to play a different game of hockey against the Canadiens, one where they have to shut down every single wave that comes at them.  I think they have the ability to do this if they play their system extremely disciplined and don't give an inch defensively.  

As for the Price problem, I watched the whole thing unfold and I have one explanation.  Alexei Emelin.  Before his injury, Price was one of the best goalies in the league, if not the best.  He was voted by the coaches of the NHL in a poll as the number 1 goalie in the NHL, and he was being heavily considered as the best option for Team Canada's goalie in Russia.  As soon as the defenceman Emelin got taken out of the line up, Price started letting in 5 goals a game.  The same thing happened when they tried Budaj.  Basically their second and third string defence completely shut down without Emelin and left Price out to dry.  What's more, as soon as the Montreal staff called up Jason Tinordi to play against the Jets, Price had a two goal game which the Habs won easily.  PK Subban's comment was that he was glad he finally saw his defence corps put in a 60 minute effort for their goalie.  After that, the coaches gave him a game off to fully collect himself and tried the same thing with Budaj against the leafs.  With Tinordi on D, same result, Habs won handily and Budaj played much better.  

All I'm saying is don't rely on Price's bad game for this series because I'm pretty sure the Habs have fixed the problem, and don't underestimate the non-stop scoring assembly line that are the forwards and defensemen of the Montreal Canadiens.  I think this is going to be a gruelling series and for the sens to win, they'll need to stick to their "play 60 minutes a game" philosophy more than they have yet this season.  While Montreal is a serious team, Ottawa has demonstrated that they're also a serious team, and getting more and more serious with every game, and I have every faith that they can win this, and at least won't give it to Montreal easily.  It should be interesting.  Defence vs Offence, two legendary-in-their-own-right goal tenders, the reigning Norris Trophy winner vs the Challenging Norris Trophy Winner, and two teams with key impact rookie players.  Finally, it's a face-off between arguably the two biggest contending coaches for the Jack Adams award.  

I'm giving it to Ottawa in 6 because I'm an optimist.  Looking forward to a great two weeks of hockey.  

#5 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

carey price's poor play has nothing to do with emelin being out. and everything to do with the fact he has been a streaky goalie his entire career. when he is hot he is pretty much unbeatable. but when he isnt hot he is down right brutal.

CH who are the goons on the habs you are talking about? prust? Armstrong?

yeah kassian is really needed to handle those two.

my prediction is sens in 6 as i think the match up with the habs favors the sens. but one thing i can guarantee is kassian will not be in the line up for any of this series

Posted Image

#6 mattpearce

mattpearce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

mattpearce don't underestimate Montreal and Carey Price.  They're sitting first in our division and second only to Pittsburgh in the conference for a reason.  I live in Montreal and my room mate is a huge habs fan so it should be a pretty interesting series in our living room come thursday.  I've lived near and in Ottawa for most of my life but I moved to Montreal this year for school.  Basically, I've seen a lot of Habs games and they play a very good game of hockey.  They have the third highest goals-for in the league right now, right behind the Pens and the Hawks, and it's not an accident.  Further, those goals are spread over four lines pretty evenly compared to most teams.  Ottawa seems to be very good at shutting down one or two line all star player teams like the caps, but they'll have to play a different game of hockey against the Canadiens, one where they have to shut down every single wave that comes at them.  I think they have the ability to do this if they play their system extremely disciplined and don't give an inch defensively.  

As for the Price problem, I watched the whole thing unfold and I have one explanation.  Alexei Emelin.  Before his injury, Price was one of the best goalies in the league, if not the best.  He was voted by the coaches of the NHL in a poll as the number 1 goalie in the NHL, and he was being heavily considered as the best option for Team Canada's goalie in Russia.  As soon as the defenceman Emelin got taken out of the line up, Price started letting in 5 goals a game.  The same thing happened when they tried Budaj.  Basically their second and third string defence completely shut down without Emelin and left Price out to dry.  What's more, as soon as the Montreal staff called up Jason Tinordi to play against the Jets, Price had a two goal game which the Habs won easily.  PK Subban's comment was that he was glad he finally saw his defence corps put in a 60 minute effort for their goalie.  After that, the coaches gave him a game off to fully collect himself and tried the same thing with Budaj against the leafs.  With Tinordi on D, same result, Habs won handily and Budaj played much better.  

All I'm saying is don't rely on Price's bad game for this series because I'm pretty sure the Habs have fixed the problem, and don't underestimate the non-stop scoring assembly line that are the forwards and defensemen of the Montreal Canadiens.  I think this is going to be a gruelling series and for the sens to win, they'll need to stick to their "play 60 minutes a game" philosophy more than they have yet this season.  While Montreal is a serious team, Ottawa has demonstrated that they're also a serious team, and getting more and more serious with every game, and I have every faith that they can win this, and at least won't give it to Montreal easily.  It should be interesting.  Defence vs Offence, two legendary-in-their-own-right goal tenders, the reigning Norris Trophy winner vs the Challenging Norris Trophy Winner, and two teams with key impact rookie players.  Finally, it's a face-off between arguably the two biggest contending coaches for the Jack Adams award.  

I'm giving it to Ottawa in 6 because I'm an optimist.  Looking forward to a great two weeks of hockey.  

I realize that Emelin was a big part of that defense but what I have been hearing that Markov has really fall off. Not just because his partner is injured but his conditioning and he looks tired out there.  He has played 20 games in the last 2 years and this year he has already played 69. If the sens finish there check on him every time they have a chance i can see Markov becoming a weakness in the Canadien's defense because the Markov that started the year isn't the same as the Markov that finished the year.

To your point about Price I am not relying on him to hand us the series, but with the way Anderson has played as of late and the way Price has played as of late I think anyone stating Montreal has the better goalie and therefor should have the advantage in the series is going off there names and not there body of work. Anderson has played against the Hab's twice this year with a GAA average of 1.5. Both games where without Cowen who is not only a top 4 defense men but also the krptonite in my opinion to the Canadien's offense.

They are a small, quick team and Cowen 6'5 with his large reach and good speed will always push the Canadiens to the outside. Along with Methot who has good speed and Karlsson who is one of the fastest players in the league i don't see Montreal's speed working in there advantage, especially because we play physical and fast. If we dress Wiercioch another 6'5 defense men I can see Ottawa solely relying on a counter attack. Whenever Montreal brings it into the zone if we squeeze them off on the boards and take away the middle of the ice and try to force a quick turnover and head back the other way, well hopefully there forwards get caught to deep in our end. There lineup isn't one where they will come into the zone and just cycle the puck which in my mind is when our defense is at its weakest.

Either way this series will be very close, Ottawa won't give up anything defensively and Montreal will hope they can play well defensively and both teams will need solid goal tending because goals will be far and few between.

#7 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

montreal is not built for playoff success

small forwards, pacioretty is their biggest forward and he plays as physical as peter regin out there

not overly big on defense either and only one real shut down guy in georges. definitely a good thing for the turris line if maclean can get them away from the georges pairing in the sens home games

goaltending if price is still on this low the sens goaltending is better hands down. if price rises back to his early season form he can steal games

like i said above i like the sens in 6.

Posted Image

#8 SensFanInNewYork

SensFanInNewYork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

I predict the Sens to win in 6 but wouldn't be surprised if this goes 7.

Senators have a better defensive team.

Canadiens have a better offensive team.

Goaltending I'd give a slight edge to Montreal, even with Price struggling Anderson has not played as well since his return from injury.

The key will be special teams. The Senators need their #1 penalty killing unit to smother Montreal's power play unit.

Ottawa will need a way to capitalize on their own chances because this will be a low scoring series.

No Kassian. The biggest fighter Montreal has is Prust (injured) and White, both of which Neil or Smith could handle.

This team needs to role 4 efficient lines, and try to match Montreal's speed.

#9 ClarkL

ClarkL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think the Sens will win in 6.

My feeling on it is that we may not win the first game, however we'll be out there banging bodies and building towards success in the following games. I think if our big forwards can get in there and start pounding Markov into the boards that he'll wear down easy and that will slow down their defensive play and also help slow their power play.

#10 rcyr2005

rcyr2005

SNOOPY SENIOR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Like most of the polls (83%) I also believe the Sens upset the Habs in 6.

The lineup they had in Boston shall be the same, except Anderson will be the starter.

They must go to the front of the net , get some deflections and rebounds ( Condra & Pageau goals )

GO SENS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockin Robert

#11 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Like most of the polls (83%) I also believe the Sens upset the Habs in 6.

The lineup they had in Boston shall be the same, except Anderson will be the starter.

They must go to the front of the net , get some deflections and rebounds ( Condra & Pageau goals )

GO SENS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockin Robert

there is no reason if conacher and pageau can get to the front of the net that michalek, greening, silverberg, latendresse cant as well

Posted Image

#12 IRAZOR

IRAZOR

Playmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I do believe Latendresse will he a key player in this series. He must use his presence in front of the net to aid the Sens in getting some dirty goals on Price, as I believe he will be fairly good in this series. He seems to play well in clutch/pressure situations.

Sens will go up 3-1...lose in Montreal, and then finish the series in Ottawa in game 6!
Posted Image

#13 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

as good as the match up between the habs and the sens will be. it will be ruined by bob cole announcing every game. which elliotte friedman tweeted yesterday that cole would be covering the sens series

might have to watch the games on RDS

Posted Image

#14 yoyesyo

yoyesyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Qc

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

as good as the match up between the habs and the sens will be. it will be ruined by bob cole announcing every game. which elliotte friedman tweeted yesterday that cole would be covering the sens series

might have to watch the games on RDS

Hahaha! Don't you wanna hear Karlsson's name when Gonchar has the puck and vise-versa 23sens? Yeah I'm definitely watching the whole series on RDS. Pierre Houde is sold on MTL but he is nowhere near as bad as Bob Cole. Also, Marc Denis is a decent analyst. Even if I didn't speak french, I'd have still watch RDS to avoid Bob Cole.

#15 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hahaha! Don't you wanna hear Karlsson's name when Gonchar has the puck and vise-versa 23sens? Yeah I'm definitely watching the whole series on RDS. Pierre Houde is sold on MTL but he is nowhere near as bad as Bob Cole. Also, Marc Denis is a decent analyst. Even if I didn't speak french, I'd have still watch RDS to avoid Bob Cole.

i will give bob cole a chance because my french is not as great as it once was and i am hoping since it isnt a leafs game cole will only mess up names and not be a total homer.

but the minute that happens i am switching to RDS

Posted Image

#16 Spezza_is_boss

Spezza_is_boss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationKemptville, Ontario

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just watch the game on CBC on mute then turn on the radio and listen to the guys on the team 1200.  Only thing that could make this worse is if Glen Healy is the color guy...

This series will be decided mainly on one guy, Price.  If he continues to struggle then the sens take it easily, however if he plays like he should be playing then it's going to game 7 and it's anyone's game.

3308go0.jpg

#17 luckan20

luckan20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Damn! Cole for us as a colour commentator. Why ?????

I get mentally disturbed hearing this guy. He might talk about Lupul, Kadri and Kessel in our games. I hope Glen Healy doesn't come on board either. Another Leafs/Crosby lover.

On the series, I picked Sens taking in game 6. 

We need to shut down Suban and Markov and we are off to races. No body can shut down King Karl. However, we need two scoring lines and I will leave our top line unchanged.

MM-Turris-Alfie

Latendresse-Zibanejaad-Silfverberg

Conacher-Pageau-Condra

Greening-Smith-Neal.   (I like this line an ideal play-off type of combination).

Methot - Karlson

Gonchar - Cowen

Phillips - Gryba or Wiercioch. 

Release Lehner, just kidding Andy to start. 

Posted Image

#18 Giffy

Giffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Who do you think has a better chance of winning this series? ** Sens but that's me being a homer... it can really go either way.

Who will have the better goaltender? ** Sens

Who will be the best defenseman? ** Methot

Who will be the best goalie? ** Budaj (at ridin' pine that is!! LOL)

Will Kassian pull a Carkner>? ** Ummmm, not likely. Carkner is a better hockey player overall than Kassian

Who will be the MVP? ** Alfredsson

Who will be the overall better team? ** Ottawa

Who will be the tougher team? ** Montreal

Who will be the faster team? ** Pretty close but Ottawa is about speed. 

My comments above preceeded by **

#19 laffin681021

laffin681021

• Newbies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMassena, NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

We really need to take advantage of Markov during the playoffs. I watched them play I think it was the Caps or the Penguins and all they did was attack Markov when he was out using speed against him and I think he ended up a -3 for the night with a few 2 on 1's

#20 SAK11

SAK11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Please no Kassian. Let's role 4 lines, let Neil and Smith handle the rough stuff, Cowen, Methot, and Greening can help out too, and all those guys can actually play hockey. I liked Latty with Zib and Silfverberg, and the little man line with Conacher, Condra and Pageau looked good too. I don't see where Kassian fits in.

The big question is Gryba or Wiercioch. Wiercioch gives us some extra offense and that great first pass out of the zone, but Gryba adds the physicality, might be good for playoff hockey. I go with Wiercioch to start, he's played well against Montreal this year (3 pts in 4 games) and he was in when they won against Boston. 

Should be a good series, I think Ottawa matches up well against them, nothing better than to beat them and shut those Habs fans up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users