#1 luckan20

luckan20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I dont understand why Pierre McGuire and Ray Ferraro missed picking Jason Spezza.

Their pick are not the final, but both being in hockey should have noticed that Spezza is among the top point getters. Also in the world championship, he was one of the main guys along with Nash was getting points. In the last WC series, he got 4 goals and 3 assists in 7 games.

I would have picked Spezza ahead of Jeff Carter based on current form. Spezza is a key component for Sens success, while Carter had terrible year. I know its too early and for sure next season counts too.

Damn! TSN guys might pick Bozak before Spezza. Good that they didn't pick Phaneuf.

The tournament is in 2014, and I believe Stevie Y will pick Spezza.
Posted Image

#2 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

luckan this is simple, spezza wasnt picked because crosby and giroux are the front runners for the top 2 center positions and spezza cannot play wing or be put in a more defensive role.

it is unfortunate but it is the truth
Posted Image

#3 adammacqueen

adammacqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCarp, Ontario

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Pietrangelo over Subban. Don't like the Carter pick right now but who knows. Spezz continues to play like this then he'll make it tough to keep him off

#4 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Pietrangelo over Subban. Don't like the Carter pick right now but who knows. Spezz continues to play like this then he'll make it tough to keep him off

i wouldnt say that at all

spezza is my favorite player in the league by far but he is extremely one dimensional, especially at the international level.

unless crosby, giroux, getzlaf seriously fall off the map in the next two years there is no room for spezza in sochi
Posted Image

#5 wi11iam_wa11ice

wi11iam_wa11ice

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

spezza is my favorite player in the league by far but he is extremely one dimensional, especially at the international level.

unless crosby, giroux, getzlaf seriously fall off the map in the next two years there is no room for spezza in sochi

THis is unfortunate but true, believe he was a back up for 2010, logically if he keep developing and dosnt plateau or decline he could find himself on the roster, hell have to be better to make that happen though

#6 Spezza_is_boss

Spezza_is_boss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationKemptville, Ontario

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I agree with 23Sens, Spezza probably won't make, unless Giroux never lives up to this season again or Crosby doesn't play again. Canada would rather have a guy like Staal on the third line.

3308go0.jpg

#7 adammacqueen

adammacqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCarp, Ontario

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I only said it'd be tough to keep him off if he continued to play at this rate. They couldn't ignore it. By that season, Spezza will be captain of this team and two more seasons with Mclean. His 2 way play, which has improved, will only get better as he continues to grow (which he still is). He's also seeing the ice better and controlling the eb and flow much better. Who knows where Sid's head will be then and Getzlaf has to up his play after this season. I'm not saying he'd make the team, just saying his name could be muttered amongst.

#8 luckan20

luckan20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

luckan this is simple, spezza wasnt picked because crosby and giroux are the front runners for the top 2 center positions and spezza cannot play wing or be put in a more defensive role.

it is unfortunate but it is the truth

23Sens, Also this is TSN picks by MacGuire....Stevie Y will select Spezza for the training camp.

If players stay healthy, I believe the first two lines may be locked by Corsby & Toews. Getzlaf & Eric Stall may will fill the balance two positions. I can see Giroux playing the wing because he has done it before.

I forgot Mike Richards and he is another guys who will fit well as a checking line centre. Damn! Canada is blessed with super centres.
Posted Image

#9 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

i agree that spezza will get an invite. but he is way down on the depth chart as of right now

which is why he was left off the team at this point in the picks
Posted Image

#10 alfieisthekingofottawa

alfieisthekingofottawa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think Spezza will for sure get an invite to the camp...but to be honest...I am not agreeing that he should not make it because of the depth chart. Understandably that Canada has soo much talent and depth in all positions, we could probably make two full teams and they would both beable to compete for the title.

I think Spezza is totally deserving to make this team. I have some stats here comparing Spezza, Getzlaf, and also Staal (who I think should be left out & Spezza inserted). Agree with me or not but...

These stats are accumlated from the past 4 years (starting in 08-09 & including this one), also STP stands for Special Teams Ponits:

____GP FOT_F%__+/-__S__S%_PTS STP_Hts GVA TKA

J.S 274 5180_53.5 (-12)_800 13.1 260 95__85_ 275 222

R.G 284 4587_47.5 (+10) 647 11.5 282 105_668 283 160

E.S 302 5933_46.8 (-8)__1167 10.3 280 95_262_163 222

Other than Getzlaf and Staal out hitting Spezza, they all have comparable numbers ... with Spezza playing much better D these days, not turning the puck over nearly as much, shooting more ... I really do not see why he could not make this team.
Personally I would remove Staal (who they have slated as a LW) insert Spezza and move Giroux to the RW. Lines would look something like this:

Stamkos Crosby Giroux
Hall Toews Perry
Benn Spezza Nash
Seguin Getzlaf Eberle

JMO here, but what do you guys think?
Posted Image

#11 23sens23

23sens23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

its possible

but i still think spezza is behind he 8 ball here and is going to have to be hands down better then staal, getzlaf, giroux to even be considered (not just similar numbers). hockey canada has always been an old boys club. and staal and getzlaf have been major pieces already on a gold medal team

i also do not think both hall and eberle will make the team. john tavares has to be ahead of them at this point
Posted Image

#12 alfieisthekingofottawa

alfieisthekingofottawa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

its possible

but i still think spezza is behind he 8 ball here and is going to have to be hands down better then staal, getzlaf, giroux to even be considered (not just similar numbers). hockey canada has always been an old boys club. and staal and getzlaf have been major pieces already on a gold medal team

i also do not think both hall and eberle will make the team. john tavares has to be ahead of them at this point

Ya, I was thinking about Tavares too. I would like to see Eberle there, one because of what he did the WJ but also because he's so clutch and has soo much talent.
Hall...playes a hard nose style, he's also fast and can score...it'll be a tough one for sure.
Posted Image

#13 adammacqueen

adammacqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCarp, Ontario

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

If Eberle ended up making the team I could see his status in Canadian history become legendary, not that isn't already, just all the more epic. He would have to continue to get better next year, as i'm sure he will. Almost every canadian has as much of a soft spot for Eberle as we do for Sid and his canadian heroics. Love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users